ESL job interview question: How would you handle a conference with a parent who does not think there is a problem with the student?

Recommended answer:


I always file documentation of my students’ progress and problems/failures in case I need to present them to the parents. 

Or:

Apart from documenting all behaviours or misbehaviours (and keeping records of students’ performance), I talk to the parents about the good things that the child does so they would not feel like I am attacking their child. In addition, I try to maintain regular communication with the parents. Then, when it is time to talk about the behaviours that need to change they are usually more open-minded. I usually start conversation in a positive, optimistic manner. I absolutely positively hear the parent out and stay open-minded. 


One of the things the parent should be made aware of is what their child’s continued behaviour might mean in the future if left unaddressed (e.g. natural consequences like loss of friends on the behaviour side, or being pulled out of class for academic issues, or possible failure in class). Then I would follow up with some suggestions that have effectively worked in the past with students who faced similar problems.


MORE q-a: http://www.esldrive.com/findajob/jobinterview.html